Sunday, March 14, 2010

Monday March 15tht 2010, 2nd full week

Monday March 15tht 2010, 2nd full week

 
There was a point this week where I started to panic. I hadn’t added anything to my daily routine…nothing I thought that would make a difference. I had overbooked most of my days and I seemed to be constantly running out of time. I found myself frustrated and annoyed with myself. Then I remembered the big picture…keep it simple. No guilt.

Ok so I didn’t add anything. However by focusing on the positive (what I was able to do this week) I was able to stay on course and not go backwards. I kept drinking my water, kept the pasta to one night only (multi grain), took a couple short walks during my work day, didn’t pig out on junk, made sure to eat breakfast, took my supplements, continued working on eating slow & consciously, and even made a few substitutions. Maybe for most people on a “diet” that wouldn’t seem like a whole lot of effort, but then again wasn’t that my point? I wanted to do this in a way that I could easily fit it into my life, without overwhelming myself or guilting myself to the point where I feel the need to come up with excuses so that I can make it easy for myself to…quit. That’s one thing that is unacceptable.

After realizing that I was still ok, that things weren’t as bad as I was starting to imagine they were, I was able to calm down and give myself permission to coast for a week. Doing that opened up my mind and although I may not have added any of the steps I had originally planned to I did discover a few small changes that I could make without much effort. One of the things I discovered is; not all turkey products taste like cardboard! Now I know there are many people out there that simply love ground turkey over ground beef, and they even love turkey bacon, but I’m not one of them. Cardboard is cardboard and although I don’t mind packing my “stuff” in it I certainly don’t like to eat it. That’s why I found it so surprising that I do like turkey kielbasa and turkey sausage. I know, I couldn’t believe it either, but it’s true. Butter Ball makes an awesome Turkey Kielbasa that made it difficult for me to notice the difference. I don’t think I will ever get to the point where I will choose ground turkey over ground beef, but this was a victory for me and it makes me hopeful that I may just find a few other healthy substitutions that I enjoy.

With all that said when I woke up Sunday I wasn’t expecting to see movement on the scale…but I did. Two more pounds! I am now down to 177! No extra effort, small steps…consistency is the key. I know it’s not as fast as many would like, but if you’ve done fast before and it hasn’t stuck then continuing to do the same thing and expecting “this time” to be different…well why don’t you let me know how that works out. If it works for you, great I will celebrate with you, if however you find yourself once again struggling to keep up the pace maybe it would be worth the effort to try the slow and steady way. The way I look at it is that steady loss with easy adopted changes is much better than the rollercoaster ride I was on.

So after my second full week I’m feeling pretty good. I’m happy with my progress and I’m going into week three with a positive attitude. I am looking forward to next week and being able to share my new measurements with you.

Have A Great Week & Smile Often!

Barbara

PS If you have any healthy substitutions that you have tried and liked please share them with me…not the cauliflower one, been there tried that and it’s almost as bad as the cardboard!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you...there is such a huge difference between the ground turkey and the ground beef it is crazy. I will say this though, I use the turkey for burgers and chili as I can add enough "healthy" ingredients to them to still make the dishes taste good.

    And that turkey kielbasa was surprisingly good!

    As for my newest substitution: instead of buying deli meat this week. I cooked up a 99% fat free turkey tenderloin and sliced it for sandwiches. Figured it had to be healthier than buying that processed stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I love turkey...but I love a good burger too! I think that the "fat" content may have a little to do with the flavor as well. Iknow it's not "good" for you but a little indulgence is.

    I bet the sandwiches were great!

    ReplyDelete